UNLV School Shooting
Learning how to be safer
Yesterday news was another devasting shooting in American history. UNLV a college I have gone to for many years and have many friends and colleagues who attended there, it is with deep regret, anger, as well as sadness that a coward destroyed the lives of families. We as a city are tired of the violence and I needs to end.
I am very grateful to the police officers and the first responders who not only eliminated the threat but took care of the victims and injured as some of them were rushed to the hospital. It literally makes me sick to my stomach we had an other coward who took the lived of innocent people.
As someone who was born and raised in this town, my heart goes out to those effected, and as someone who was born and raised here, I can honestly say I am just shocked this is the second time this has happened in our community.
As the world continues to change, we must face the facts that we should be cautious and move quickly when something like this happens. Always making sure we are watching other peoples’ actions in populated places that this my happen.
According to news it was because he was ” Not hired” and this was the reason why he decided to go crazy. Clearly people like this man do not have self control and was no pint in what he did.
How can we stop this?
School Shootings: Complex Issue
As someone who only teaches martial arts, I want to try to spread a positive and cautious message to possibly prevent things like this happening. I spent half the night thinking of ways to come up to maybe it’ll save a life or two and after hours of research created some opinions and suggestions of how maybe to prevent this.
Preventing school shootings is a complex challenge that requires a comprehensive and multi-faceted approach. Here are several strategies that can contribute to creating a safer school environment:
- Early Intervention and Mental Health Support: Identify and address mental health issues early on. Schools should have access to mental health professionals who can provide support to students facing emotional or psychological challenges.
- Create a Positive School Climate: Foster a positive and inclusive school culture where students feel valued, respected, and connected. Encourage open communication and establish strong relationships between students, teachers, and staff.
- Implement Bullying Prevention Programs: Address bullying and harassment, which can contribute to a negative school environment. Establish clear anti-bullying policies and provide education on conflict resolution and empathy.
- Enhance Security Measures: Implement security measures such as controlled access points, surveillance systems, and trained security personnel. Conduct regular drills to ensure that students and staff are prepared for emergency situations.
- Promote Responsible Firearm Ownership: Advocate for responsible gun ownership and storage. Encourage safe storage practices at home to prevent unauthorized access to firearms, especially by children or individuals with harmful intent.
- Strengthen Gun Control Measures: Support policies that address access to firearms, including background checks, waiting periods, and restrictions on high-capacity magazines. Advocacy for sensible gun control legislation can contribute to reducing the likelihood of gun violence.
- Provide Comprehensive Threat Assessment Programs: Develop and implement threat assessment programs to identify and address potential threats early on. Train staff and students to recognize warning signs and report concerns.
- Improve Information Sharing: Foster better communication and information-sharing channels between schools, law enforcement, and mental health professionals. Coordinated efforts can help identify and intervene with individuals at risk.
- Encourage Responsible Media Reporting: Encourage responsible reporting in the media to avoid sensationalizing school shootings, which may inadvertently contribute to copycat incidents.
- Involve the Community: Engage parents, community leaders, and local organizations in efforts to create a safe and supportive environment. Community involvement can enhance the overall well-being of students and contribute to a collective sense of responsibility.
It’s important to note that no single solution is foolproof, and prevention efforts must be tailored to the specific needs and context of each community. A holistic, collaborative, and proactive approach that addresses both the individual and systemic factors contributing to violence is crucial in preventing school shootings.
My Condolences to all the family and friends effected.
-Sensei Lorenzo Sandoval
Ageless Martial Arts